Monday, May 26, 2014

Armchair BEA: My Introduction



Since I'm not able to go to New York this week to attend Book Expo America (BEA) I've signed up to participate in the next best thing-- Armchair BEA! It's a way to virtually "attend" the conference without leaving the comfort of home! Today's topic is an introduction of myself to other bloggers!
Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging? Where in the world are you blogging from?
My name is Lori, and I'm from a small town in the beautiful state of Oregon! Ever since I can remember, I've loved reading and anything to do with books. I was fortunate to have parents who read to me, took me to the library, and encouraged reading and learning. When I was little, if I received a book as a gift, my mom said I would stop everything I was doing  and sit and read the book immediately (that hasn't changed lol)!   I've been married to my wonderful husband since 2006 and live with our four adorable kitties.  I have a Master's degree in Health Education and a Bachelor's degree in Psychology, and work in the field of higher education.  In addition to reading, I love dancing (I take ballet once a week), cooking, watching football,  drinking a good cup of coffee or glass of wine,  and relaxing at home with my husband and kitties.

My husband and I

I am new to the blogging world--only been blogging consistently since March 2014 but I am LOVING it so far.  I've always loved to write, and of course I love to read, and finally felt that now was the perfect time to start book blogging (with the encouragement of some great friends!).

Describe your blog in just one sentence. Then, list your social details -- Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. -- so we can connect more online. 

Palmer's Page Turner's is a blog with one goal in mind--to promote the love of reading through honest book reviews, reading challenges, and bookish things!

You can connect with through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google +, and Pinterest.  You can also find me on Good Reads!

Spread the love by naming your favorite blogs/bloggers (doesn’t necessarily have to be book blogs/bloggers). 

I have been fortunate to find a lot of excellent blogs to draw inspiration and encouragement from! Here are some of my favorites--be sure to check them out! Most are book blogs, but I included a couple non book related blogs too :)

Double Stacked Bookshelves
My Life in Books
Love at First Book
Brandie is a Book Junkie
River City Reading
The Small Things Blog (fashion, makeup, hair, etc)
Two Peas and Their Pod (food)

What genre do you read the most? I love to read because ___________________ . 

I generally read contemporary adult fiction, historical fiction, and YA fiction. I really love YA fiction because I feel it's such a critical age group--it's the perfect age to get "hooked" as a lifelong reader. There are so many fantastic YA books out there, both past and present.

I love to read for so many reasons!!  I love the ability to take a mental break from reality and dive into another world for awhile. I love the escape.  I love completely losing myself in a book and forgetting about everything except the characters and the story. I love relating to the characters and realizing I'm not alone in my experiences, thoughts, and  feelings.  I love watching the characters develop and change and grow. I love learning new things about places and times and events through reading. Reading is a way to travel without leaving home, as well as a way to be exposed to different perspectives and ideas. I don't think there's anything I DON'T love about reading!  There's no better way for me to relax than to curl up on the couch with a good book and a cup of tea or coffee!


What does your favorite/ideal reading space look like? (Pinterest encouraged!)


Reading by the pool in Maui!
December 2013
Clearly an ideal reading spot!
My favorite reading space at home is probably my couch or my bed, as they are both super comfy! Both involve warm blankets, a cup of coffee or tea nearby, and adorable little kitties to sit on my lap.  However, my ideal space involves these things:

*comfy chair/couch/seating
*cozy blanket (unless it's super warm)
*coffee/tea/Pepsi within reach
*a window view, preferably of the ocean or water/lake (or outside if the weather is nice!)
*be able to open that window to hear the ocean, birds, nature, etc. if not outside



I have created a Pinterest Board to show some photos of what my ideal space looks like!

Happy Reading and enjoy this week, fellow participants of Armchair BEA!

19 comments:

  1. Wow, you're a brand spankin' new blogger! Nice to meet you and glad to see you've enjoyed joining the ranks. :D Like you, one of the things I love most about reading is finding those characters whose feelings and experiences I can really relate to, even if their circumstances are way different than mine. And who wouldn't want to escape reality for a book once in a while? It's so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my blog, Megan! Enjoy Armchair BEA!

      Delete
  2. Welcome to Armchair BEA, Lori! Reading by the pool in Maui does sound ideal! Loved your Pinterest board on the topic -- just looking at all those gorgeous views was calming.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! Glad you liked my pinterest board--I had fun creating it! Thanks for reading my blog!!

      Delete
  3. If you ever want to read more middle grade (which is really a great way to escape!), stop by my blog. There are a lot of YA blogs, but MG is slowly gaining ground. Hope you enjoy Armchair BEA-- I've been blogging for 8 years,and this is the first time I've gotten around to participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion! I just checked out your blog and started following you on twitter! I hope you enjoy BEA as well!

      Delete
  4. I am glad to have found your blog - I think we have a ton of really similar book taste! Also, and this is kind of weird, but I think I also have that same shirt you are wearing in that picture with your husband. Twinsies! ;)

    I've followed you on Twitter and am excited to get to know you better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading/following me! I just checked out your blog (found the new one you just switched to) and it looks great! I look forward to reading your reviews!

      And, about that shirt: great minds think alike! :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shoutout! So glad you're taking part in Armchair BEA - it's a great way to meet a ton of new bloggers and I think you'll have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Shannon! I really enjoy your blog. I'm super excited for Armchair BEA this week and connecting with other bloggers! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the world of blogging. I'm a historical fiction author who is new to the ArmchairBEA. I've been having a blast meeting all kinds of people. I hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love historical fiction, I'd love to check out some of your work!

      Delete
  7. I need to incorporate Pinterest more in my Reading life. I love some of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinterest is definitely a fun (and addicting!)) website!

      Delete
  8. Visiting your blog via ABEA; my YA mystery / thriller, FERAL, will release in August with HarperTeen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading Holly! I just added Feral to my "to read" list on GoodReads--it looks like something I would really enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for the shout out!! :) Adorable pic of you and your hubby, too! I couldn't agree more with your reasons for loving reading - it's just a perfect escape into another world.

    Enjoy Armchair BEA! I'm going to live vicariously through you, since I didn't sign up for it. Going to go check out your Pinterest board, too!

    PS...So happy to see another girl football fan, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Brandie! I really like your blog and have enjoyed getting to know you through the blogging world!

      I absolutely LOVE football. In an obsessive way that is not too far off from Shea in The One & Only:) Love, Love, LOVE it!!!

      Delete
  10. Great meeting you. I hope you enjoyed ABEA!

    ReplyDelete