Friday, May 30, 2014

Armchair BEA Day 5: Middle Grade/Young Adult


Happy Friday! Today's topic of choice for Armchair BEA is Middle Grade/Young adult books. Here's the prompt from their website:

Our final genre of discussion is one that we know is a popular one these days: books for the younger crowd, from middle grade to young adult. If you do not normally talk about this genre on your site, maybe you want to feature books that you remember impacting you during this stage in your life. If this is where you tend to gravitate, maybe you want to list your favorites, make recommendations based on genres, or feature some titles that you are excited to read coming later this year.

I absolutely LOVE Young Adult fiction. I love it because young adults are at such an impressionable age--it's the perfect time to get them hooked on reading and become lifelong readers. Also, young adults are going through so many changes in their lives, and I feel like there are so many fantastic YA books out their that they can relate to that will help them to not feel so alone and that their feelings are "normal." 

Here are some of my all time favorite MG and YA books, both recent and not so recent!

1.  Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell  (my review)

2.The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky (my review)

3. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

4. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

5. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

6. Matilda by Roald Dahl (more MG than YA)

7. Charlotte's Web by E.B.White (also more MG than YA)

And now, for some YA books I am looking to reading and are on my TBR list (again, some recent, some now so recent)!

1. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart

2. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

3. Landline by Rainbow Rowell

4. I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

5. Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

6. The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer

7. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling (I NEED to read these soon!)

What are some of your favorite YA books? What are some you are looking forward to reading?

Happy Reading!

8 comments:

  1. I loved the Lunar Chronicles. Anna and the French Kiss was cute (it probably helped that I read it on the plane ride home from Paris last summer). I need to bump Eleanor and Park and The Fault in Our Stars higher up on my TBR.

    Joy's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my friends absolutely loves the Lunar Chronicles too! Looking forwar to reading it!

      Delete
  2. I don't think that I have an YA books that I'm especially eager to read right now. Perhaps Winter, when it comes out. Here is my Armchair BEA Day 5 post with some of my favorites that aren't so well known.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list! I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasn't read the Harry Potter books!!

    Anna is my favorite, for sure. And you know I adore all books by Rainbow Rowell. :) I'm really looking forward to Landline!

    I'm one of the few who disliked Hunger Games. I enjoyed the movie - but not the book. I read it while I was pregnant and couldn't stomach it at all. Just bad timing on my part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm considering reading the Harry Potter series this summer...

      Delete
  4. I loved Eleanor & Park. Hope you like The Lunar Chronicles. I love that series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard many great things about that series!

      Delete