Thursday, April 17, 2014

World Book Night 2014: Part One

Last year, my friend, coworker, and blogger at Double Stacked Bookshelves introduced me to the World Book Night organization. It is an absolutely fantastic program! WBN originated in the UK in 2011, and brought to the US in 2012.  Each year, approximately 30 books from varied genres are chosen, authors of the books waive their royalties, and publishers agree to pay the coast of printing the WBN special editions of the books--all in the name of "spreading the love of reading, person to person." The goal of the program is to get books in the hands of light or non-readers, encourage literacy, and get people in the community excited about reading.

These books are given out completely free by volunteer Book Givers on April 23 of each year. Why April 23? Three reasons: 1) UNESCO's International Day of the Book 2) It's Shakespeare's birthday and 3) it's the anniversary of the death of Miguel de Cervantes (author of Don Quixote). To commemorate Cervantes' life, people in the Catalan region of Spain give a book and a flower to a loved one. How cool is that?

This April 23, I along with over 35,000 others across the country will be handing out 20 copies each of one of the book selections for this year.  My book to hand out this year is "The Weird Sisters" by Eleanor Brown. I just picked up my Giver Box Tuesday night and am currently planning where in my local community to give away these books! I am SO excited to be involved this year. I am passionate about reading, and am thrilled to have the opportunity to share that with others through this organization.



Interested in learning more about this organization and/or becoming a Book Giver next year? Visit WBN's "Get Involved" page!

Up next--World Book Night 2014: Part Two! I will post my review of The Weird Sisters!

And finally--late next week--World Book Night 2014: Part Three: My experience as a Book Giver!

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment