Thursday, April 10, 2014

Blog Hop!


This is a new blog adventure for me, but my friend Erin over at Sutematsu asked if she could tag me in a "blog tour" where I answer questions, tag other blogger friends, and share the blog love! Here are my answers:

What am I working on?
In viewing other bloggers' posts who've done this Q&A...I realize my answers will be a bit different.  I'm not working on a novel or big writing project. I've attempted NaNoWriMo once and failed miserably. My main focus right now is writing book reviews for the blog--trying to have a stock pile of reviews that I can add one at a time to the blog when I'm still reading books for future reviews.  I do love writing--though I feel my strength is academic writing, research writing, and potentially non fiction. I've always said I'd love to write a book, but the idea for one hasn't struck me yet.
 
How does my work differ from others of its genre?
In this case--I'm going to change the question to: How are my book reviews different than other book reviews? In starting this blog I've been reading lots of other book reviews and book review blogs.  I wanted my book reviews to be more than the average book review. In my reviews I try to make a personal connection to the book, or learn more about a topic explored in the book, to go a bit deeper than the average review.  I love this quote from F. Scott Fitzgerald: "...That is part of the beauty of literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong." After reading my first book review, my coworker and fellow blogger from Listening From the Back Row said that my book review wasn't just a book review, it was a "Lori book review." I took that as a compliment...whether he meant it that way or not :)
 

Why do I write what I do?
I post my #FridayReads on instagram and am constantly asked my opinions of the books. I always joke I want to get paid for reading books. So I thought, why not start a blog with my reviews and see where it goes? On a deeper level though, I am an introvert--and feel I express myself much better through writing than anything else. Except perhaps, dance :)
 

How does my writing process work?
In general, I'm a big fan of outlines. When I write anything I generally write in chunks--write a section of the paper or post, leave it, come back the next day or two, write some more.  I rarely can write an entire post in one sitting. I usually just write and get whatever I have to say on paper and then edit afterwards.
 

Next Blogger:
Mel

2 comments:

  1. Blogging and writing reviews is a great way to get into a regular habit of writing. When that inspiration hits, you'll be ready for the challenge!! Great job on the blog so far! :-)

    ReplyDelete